Indecision.

On Friday, the nephrologist called me and asked me to guess who he had just gotten off the phone with. Turned out it was the interventional radiologist who was originally scheduled to do the AVS, but who became ill and had her associate do it instead. Apparently she reviewed my results and confirmed that the AVS was done incorrectly. She wanted to give me her opinion that I should have it re-done – don’t even assume that the results on the right side were correct, as I had been doing; just start from scratch and do it again as if the first one never happened.

I’ve been kind of a mess ever since this phonecall. I thought I was, somehow, sort of settling in to the idea that I’m stuck with this damned condition for the rest of my life, so why not make the best of it? Oh no. Not me. Apparently I’m still hanging on to that hope, however tenuous that it may be, that maybe I can be fixed.

The same phonecall also came with the instructions to increase the spironolactone to 37.5mg/day. In the interest of science, I’m going along with it – there’s a part of me that really wants to see if I get the same side effects as I did when I took it a bunch of years back. I also want to see if it works at all, for that matter.

And that means giving it time. And if I give it time – which could be several months – and then decide I want the repeat AVS, that means waiting an additional 6 weeks while the spironolactone clears out of my system before I can have that done, because the results will not be accurate otherwise.

So there’s a part of me saying just stop the spironolactone now, schedule another AVS, and get a definitive answer.

And it’s that duality – the fact that I have two choices at all – that is making me kind of crazy right now.

On Friday, while talking to the nephrologist, I thought I had worked out a plan: stick with the spironolactone and see what happens; if it becomes problematic in any way, try the eplerenone and see what happens; if that doesn’t work, head straight to the repeat AVS.

It seemed so logical at the time, but I’m starting to think that I’ve got the order reversed and the plan should be as follows: stop the spironolactone immediately, schedule repeat AVS; if the PA is lateralized get surgery; if the PA is bilateral go back to the spironolactone and see what happens; if it becomes problematic in any way, try the eplerenone and see what happens.

My next appointment with the nephrologist is Wednesday morning. I’m giving myself until then to make up my mind one way or the other.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s